Friday, April 23, 2010

Mediocre Man vs. The Well-crafted Argument

Wednesday evening saw the close of another chapter in my education adventure. I somehow managed to survive a grueling eight weeks of essays, readings, reading responses, and research, research, research. English 121 was a considerable challenge. It wasn't so much the content--I am a capable composer and reader--but rather the volume of the classwork and homework being juggled with a busy time at work. Grades have not been posted yet, I am waiting to hear back from the professor on whether I can choose to accept the grade she gave me for the first draft of my final essay in lieu of turning in a revised copy (it would be difficult to improve upon a grade of 100).

Ever since I started taking English classes SNHU-100 (which isn't really an English course but has a lot of writing elements), English 101, and English 120, I have been conditioned to expect English 121 to be a difficult class. I was not surprised or disappointed to find this to be the truth. I find that if I am not being pushed or challenged then I tend to get bored rather easily (see also: middle school, high school). My professor for 121 was extremely well versed in her field despite being as young as she is (27) and you can tell she truly loves what she teaches. Liz did an awesome job despite a tough crowd (most of the class didn't appreciate the challenge as much as I did it seems). Like Wheeler (my professor from the above mentioned classes) she was persistent that I become a professional writer. Wheeler wants me to become an English teacher whereas Liz thinks I would excel in some sort of journalism field. 

Any way, Monday I start COM-212 (public speaking), again with Wheeler. As anxious as I am about it, I find myself kind of excited to be doing it. I wrote to Wheeler a few weeks ago while we were playing e-tag trying to work out a time for getting together for coffee.

I am looking forward to--as well as dreading--public speaking next term. I was always pretty (debilitatingly) shy in my younger days and had a deeply seeded irrational fear of speaking in front of people. In my elder days I have come to a point where I don't much care. I spent five years in retail and another five as a bouncer yelling in people's faces, so I am interested to see if my trepidation in regards to public speaking is real or if it is just a residual notion from days of yore. I am thinking more the latter, but we shall see.
So, see we shall. The adventure continues....

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering where your steady posts had gone, and it was answered above (rigorous classwork + busy time @ your job). Glad you had a minute to post, and good luck with public speaking.

    ReplyDelete