Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mediocre Man vs. Public Speaking: wrapping up.

So, public speaking is almost over. I imagine I will probably get an A for effort, but I don't feel any more comfortable delivering a speech in front of people. It's funny, I can stand in front of my class and hold a conversation with them, but as soon as I get into the presentation aspect I start to falter. My instructor commented that he was surprised to hear my voice shaking during my speech about gay rights and equality (you can view the powerpoint here). I heard/felt it too and remember thinking how odd it was because I was completely at ease in front of the class. I think it was more of an innate biological response as opposed to a psychological response due to nerves.

I have one last presentation to make on the coming Monday about Global overpopulation and whether more nations should adopt a similar policy to China's "one child policy." For the record I am all for it. Maybe not anything as harsh as China's policy, but the need for better family planning, birth control education, and legislation that penalizes rather than rewards unduly large families--especially those on the welfare system--is an absolute must for our species to survive much past the next half century.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how difficult it is for reproductive rights to be of any significant use in what is supposed to be the most progressive and enlightened nation on Earth.

    I suppose it's tough to expect logic to prevail over religious dogma or pseudo 'family values' (kindly practice what you spew, GOP!) attitudes.

    Not to mention the selfishness of parents who choose to bring to term fetuses whom they've been told have been guaranteed to live a short and painful life, adding yet another burden to the limited resources of the world (not to mention the emotional and psychological tolls).

    This is one uber-liberal who is SO in favor of population control, that it'd make most heads spin!

    ReplyDelete