Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mediocre Man vs. Boot Camp

So, I haven't mentioned it here yet, but I have rejoined the gym and have been going with my friend--and now personal trianer--Rocio. After the first week of torture going back to the gym with her she earned the name "Boot Camp."

Rocio is a former Olympic athlete in figure skating. After an accident shattered her leg and ended her skating career she stopped exercising while her injuries healed. She expressed a desire to get back in shape (not that she is even remotely out of shape in any stretch of the imagination) and I decided to tag along. The first night I went back to the gym I went with Rocio and my friend/professor Robert. By the end of that session I physically and literally felt like I was going to vomit on the floor. Both Rocio and Robert are health nuts and are in pretty damned good shape, juxtaposed with me who is in about as bad a shape as one can possibly be short of quadriplegia or morbid obesity. Subsequent trips have seen the nausea reduced quite a bit.

I have started a before and after photo project, but wont be sharing that until there is an actual "after" result to soothe the "before" image of me shirtless from your collective mental palettes. If all goes as planned I will try to turn it into a time lapse video. Each week I take 4 shots (front, side, back, other side) and will link those all together so it will appear to rotate and slim (hopefully). I am unsure yet if I want to track those results here or not, but I am leaning toward yes. I know if I attempt to keep more than one blog I will invariably lose interest in both.

So, so far I have tracked my attempts to expand my mental horizons via my collegiate efforts, and now I will attempt to chronicle my attempts to improve my physical situation via my adventures with Boot Camp.

I'll keep ya posted... if I survive.

1 comment:

  1. My move has been pretty disruptive on both my exercise and eating smart habits. My stove finally got put together & the gas turned on yesterday, and my living room floor (read: workout space) is being installed this morning, so I'll be back on track.

    We'll be two healthier-lookin' dudes come WPMF at the end of July! I'll pencil you in for an XL, and not a 2XL. Good luck, chum.

    ReplyDelete