Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mediocre Man vs. Misconceptions

I have already had a few people comment (only one on here; Hi Maggie!) that I don't give myself enough credit, that I am not mediocre, or  that I am not average. I have had people ask me why I lack confidence. My answer to this is that I don't lack confidence. The simple fact of the matter is that I am a realist. I'm not saying that I am not a smart person, just that statistically I am not a unique snowflake. There is nothing spectacular about me... and honestly, I am perfectly okay with that. Not everyone can be uber special.

When I say that I am average or mediocre and that I am enjoying the view from the top of the bell curve I just mean that I am one of the masses and don't happen to land on either end of the intelligence spectrum.

To better explain this perhaps an explanation of the bell curve for those that aren't familiar. The "Bell Curve" is the popular name for Normal Distribution (also called Gaussian distribution). It is often called the bell curve because the graph of its probability density resembles a bell.

Illustrated below.
Note: the irony of the two polar opposites of the spectrum is not lost on me... I made the damn graph.

3 comments:

  1. Bwahahahahaha. That's kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and again I say, how can the brain that created that spectrum be mediocre? Robby, you're adorable, and I love that you're realistic, but dude, you are a very special snowflake, I know nobody else like you :-)

    and yes, I said "dude"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

    Keep singing and dancing, 'snowflake!'

    ReplyDelete